Thursday 20 October 2016

Happy 100th to a great man

As this crazy wind whirls around us and my eFacebook page has pictures of my brothers, cousins and aunties and uncles sharing a drink I type this post one handed with a half glass of port in my left. Tonight we celebrate John Boog, a man who would have turned 100 years, a man I am proud to say was my Opa.

We loved heading to Goolwa every Easter, Christmas and any other time. It meant a crazy catch up with cousins, a couple of days with the calm, gorgeous, family friendly Goolwa Beach only a five minute stroll through the dunes, but it also meant time spent with our Opa and Oma.

My favourite Opa memory is a super fast go cart coloured red and blue that my brother and I created with mum and Opa. We got some old pram wheels, some bits of wood that were lying around in the shed and with a bit of spray paint and some Opa know how a go cart appeared in an afternoon. My brother and I pushed each other in that thing for hours. Best toy ever and we all made it together.

If you knew Opa you would be smiling now. An amazing man would have been 100 today. No war, relocation of family or any other troubles seemed to get him down. He was a mechanic, confidant, card shark, children's entertainer, but a plumber by trade.

Tonight we raise a glass in your honour. Opa, happy 100th! Long may you live in glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment