Sunday 30 June 2019

An entertaining tale - review of The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister

Just on a whim I spotted The Magician's Lie come via the return chute at work. We had marked it with an orange dot, something we reserve for detective novels, crime and mystery... The cover and title both caught my eye but it was the blurb that sold me. I love stories with strong female characters and this one promised to be impressive.

Greer Macallister has written a clever story which played out like a thrilling Hollywood blockbuster, weaving back and forth just over a decade at a time where illusionists were the highlight of entertainment. The story is told in a way that it captures the thrill of owning the stage, describing a true performer completely and utterly in their element.

The true sign of a great story is how sad you are that the story has ended. The Magician's Lie has made me very sorrowful indeed. Truly I wish it could have continued for a hundred pages more at least. Well paced, full of twists and turns with a brilliant cast of heroes and villains.

For anyone looking for a brilliant story I can thoroughly recommend this one. I wish I could write this well...

No comments:

Post a Comment