Friday 3 November 2017

Laws and Crooks Conquer Victoria 2017 - Day Five

We have been promising Miss Five to go Ten Pin Bowling but today we had to switch plans and head to a different swimming center instead, Casey Race. Last time the Laws were here the Williamson kids took us here and the kids had a ball. There is a huge bucket which dumps water all over the kids, a waterslide and some linked pools that enable the younger swimmers to explore. This time though the not school holidays curse struck again. The bucket did not fill and all the explorer pools were taken up by school classes doing YCMA swimming lessons. In the two hours for swimming we had paid for there was probably half an hour where there were no school kids. Master 11 was most disappointed that the bucket would not work until after 3pm. Our swimming fun ended an hour before that. McDonalds for lunch (a bit disappointed with my wrap, but happy the team of cooks fixed it to my satisfaction with five minutes).

Once home I got to playtest a game that my mate Ben has been developing. I admire his creativity, such a complex mix of Medieval fantasy and Science Fiction. It is certainly not a quick game to play but I found myself immediately getting involved in the story of how the game pans out. Some tweaks still required perhaps but I strongly believe Ben has a game to rival the Cthulu based ones we have been loving to play or Dead of Winter, House on the Hill... In fact any of those epic games that take all night to play or even a whole day or two... Keep working that imagination hard Ben... I cannot wait to play test again and maybe complete a quest or two...

It was a funny night without Ben and Maria there. Master 11, Miss 7, Miss 5 and I spent a half hour or so riding, scooting and running up and down the big hill that leads to BB and Roh's place. Master 11 found a speedo on the bike he was riding so he could measure my pace as I took off after the girls. My top speed down hill, 25Km and uphill 21km. Following this it was chicken for tea. Sitting down to tea with five kids we were responsible for was certainly an eye opener. I think Miss H and I handled it well though. Bath quickly followed and then movie night with packets of chips (a break from popcorn). Garfield (voiced by Bill Murray) was the choice. Not the type of movie that kept our attention but the kids seemed to enjoy it. I wish Ben and Maria luck for tomorrow. The kids have chosen Garfield 2 for movie night with them. Netflix is both a blessing and a curse in the fact we can no longer tell the kids "So sorry, we don't have that DVD..." So many movies and shows are now available at any time.

Miss 5 and Miss 3 did not make it to the end of the film (and Miss H missed at least ten minutes in the middle). Once the film was done all five kids dropped silently into the land of nod. Swimming was a great idea I think for tiring the kids out. With a quiet house all to ourselves my darling angel and I decided to try one of a handful of DVDs we brought on the trip. To the Wonder was supposed to be a beautiful romance but instead ended up being some disappointing art film we found impossible to follow. About half an hour to forty-five minutes in and Ben and Maria returned from a very fun night. I tried switching DVDs to Money Monsters which seemed to catch Ben and my attention but I think it was far too late to settle in for a full length feature. Good night Money Monsters... Maybe you'll get a proper watch soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment