Saturday 21 June 2014

From the diary of Stephan, Knowledge Keeper of the city of Andrapaal

From the diary of Stephan, Knowledge Keeper of the city of Andrapaal

Year 496, Season Spring, Edward Bear-Heart is Chief Sage, Fredrick the Red is King

I Stephan from the Northern Road to Nowhere, Knowledge Keeper of our famed capital, the city of Andrapaal do so record these words as truth. The year is 496 since the sylvi released us from the vorsurk dogs. I am honoured to be one who has benefited from their gift of the holy knowledge of literacy.

Today it rained, a fine sun shower that wet my blue robes as they hung drenched from washing, seeking the sun's rays. The pit pat of the light droplets upon my slate roof humoured me. The tune brought to my mind a bard's performance I had attended as a student sage.

This was my sole moment of pleasure this day. As the sun shower passed I left my home and strode towards the palace. I was waylaid by a foreign merchant from the south, could not the man see I had no time to view his patterned clay pots? Three visitors to the city I reminded to visit the hall and record their business. Surely in a kingdom where tradition and communication are equally key the word should have passed from citizen to citizen that each and every visitor needs to record their business?

Then my lessons began. Half a day of young giggling boys in yellow robes, not interested in fact, in fact only interested in themselves and where the power that comes with being a sage can take them in this kingdom. Being a Knowledge Keeper is a great responsibility, we record every moment of our people's lives. Life influences kingdom which in turn improves life.

One yellow robed boy concerns me most though. A young one named Morthos seems to be focused upon our laws, how they are made and how they can be changed. Some of what I have overheard this youngster discuss with his peers can almost be considered manipulation! I have every mind to discuss this boy with Bear-Heart, though I fear the man who is our senior will see no err in what the child says. Troubling, for it is not what the children say, but perhaps how they say it.

Thus ends this entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment