Sunday 1 January 2017

A trip to the cemetary to visit old friends

I have been meaning to visit our local cemetary and spend some time with my mum who passed away Christmas day seven years ago (2009). Although mum is quite often in my thoughts I only get to the cemetary to visit her twice or three times each year. With the lateness of the school year finishing and the craziness of Christmas time for us I missed my usual visit and instead headed up the road today.

It was odd to stand before mum's grave and feel annoyed that a bird had left a present. It also felt a little strange to pass by so many graves on my way to mum and see the grave stone of the father of a great mate, to see my young cousin and to read the family names of people I know well...

I also visited today the resting places of my grandma (Peg) and grandpa and my niece Bernadette. It made me smile as I then spent a lost five minutes seeking the grave of my nanny. She was very Irish and I think Nanny Bridget would have had a dry chuckle as I checked all the headstones of where I thought she was and not getting close.

Hopefully in 2017 I'll visit more and worry less... Only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment