Friday 30 November 2018

Epic successes and epic fails

I have (madly) put my hat in the ring to take part in National Novel Writing Month. It has been a real challenge for me but an opportunity to get back into writing a longer manuscript. The idea is to knuckle down and produce a raw (little to no editing) 50,000 word novel during the 30 days of the month of November. With all of the end of year things to do with school and work and just not being able to find time to write (hence the severe lack of posts over the last month at least) I must admit now to the epic failure which is my NaNoWriMo effort... Banging out two half decent sessions of 1,000 words or more I have managed to rack up a grand total of 4,148 words (almost 10%). The word counter on the website informs me that it would take the next eleventh months (pretty much to the start of the next NaNoWriMo) before I would reach my required 50K.

From such an epic fail though I move swiftly on to last night and the amazingly fun night my wonderful and truly terrific wife and I put on for the local library team. We have had a bit of a rough and tough 2018 which only just now seems to be smoothing itself out. Certain members of the team I manage are having tough moments of their own so an end of year wind down was a exactly what was needed. We had at least half the team present with partners and kids and it was just such a fun night of eating and drinking and chatting away the night. Hopefully next year we can have even more members come along. I know that what ever we do it is bound to be great fun.

Waiting in the balance now is a children's event planned for work for tomorrow. I am hoping that the community gets behind their local author and their local library and that we get hoards and hoards of visitors for the day... The record we are aiming to beat... Just 128 visitors in 4 hours... This was set in late July last year (the first time we had this same children's author). Bring on the chaos and fingers crossed we break our record... If you are in the neighbourhood please drop by...

No comments:

Post a Comment