Saturday 8 December 2018

Happy birthday to a great mate

Last night we had the pleasure of joining many in helping a great mate, proud to call my brother-in-law and all round good guy Ben who has just turned 40 years young. In typical Ben style the party was a hoot with everyone tackling the SPY theme in their own creative way. The kids just loved it dressing up in all black wearing sunglasses at night and telling people to "stick 'em up!" with their empty water pistols.

I have been really getting into writing again lately, spurred on by my attempt at 50,000 words for Novel November. While the night just gone is still fairly fresh in my mind I thought I'd put pen to paper. Below is the result. Hope you all enjoy my creation... Especially you, M'Lord Benjamin...


An Ode to a Mate on turning 4 and Oh... A poem in four verses

Mum and Dad! I tell not a lie
Everyone was there at Le Convention de Spy
Twice the James Bond, twice the bow tie
Such a costumed menagerie and I'll tell you why

A great mate, Lord Benjamin or Hicksy by name
Had gathered us together for one massive game
The two rounds we played both ended the same
President saved, bomber exposed and all by a fair dame

At this party represented were spy royalty
Agents in suits, Spy VS Spy, a brick wall and hedge, a fake beard or three
Pizzas and cheesecakes and slices oh so very yummy
And all because the Spy Master Ben had turned the young age of forty

The girls looked amazing in spy-ware or dresses divine
The boys scrubbed up well, all looking fine
Happy birthday was sung around about half-past nine
Then we all toasted Ben with glasses of champagne, beer or wine


Happy birthday to a great mate Ben. Hope you had as fun a night as we did. My big 4 and Oh is coming up soon. You have certainly set a high bar as nights of fun go. I wonder what theme I could go with for mine...


No comments:

Post a Comment