Wednesday 30 December 2015

I'm in Love With the Little Red-Haired Girl

This is a distopian future idea I got from watching the adverts for the new Peanuts movie.

I'm in Love With the Little Red-Haired Girl

Picture this. I stand at the bar starring into the face that is on the screen. I wonder if the round faced man with the scruffy chin and sunken eyes is real or if some nerdy kid has finally worked out the way to program emotion like true empathy and the ability to calculate life and its choices. I am determined to test the face and see. He has just asked me what I want to eat and whether I need a drink. The voice seems real, the face truthfully uncaring, just like any real life barkeep.
"I'm in love with the red-haired girl!" I reply.
The eyebrows of the face rise as if in shock. I watch the eyes themselves, they are grey and white on the colourless screen but I can detect a flicker of human interest. I smile innocently and try to make my own eyes twinkle, begging the face to ask for more from me.
The face on the screen does ask, but its not what I expected.
"Ma'am, seriously I get paid less than a slice of pitence... If you're hungry or thirst please push my buttons and feed the cash into the machine."
'Wish someone would push my buttons,' I consider saying, but instead I push the man's buttons and feed in the ridiculous amount of money I owe for a cheese burger and cola.
As I walk away from the vendor and the next pair step up I hear a repeat of the commercial speil.
"Welcome to Generica... My name is Mal, what can I getcha?"
I stroll away sipping my beverage thinking what I'd told Mal was kind of the truth.
I'm fiercly Cancarian at a time when nobody else cares. We can't see the stars no more with all the unnatural clouds in the sky. Grey and stinking they are an inheritance from my parents' parents' parents' past. When you've stuffed up Earth and everyone is off to another planet sadly there is little to no reason to reverse your poor decisions. Then when the first migration to Mars ends in a fiery inferno it is suddenly all too late. But for me it is all about the past, the good bits anyway. Total Cancer! There might be generic cola and fastfood from Generica vending everywhere now, I want to taste a Wopper from Burger King or a MacDonalds hashbrown, or Chinese food or traditional Mexican... For that mater I want China and Mexico back, not the twenty five sectors we've split the world we live in now.

A car flies over my head, I'm amazed someone can afford fuel these days. In the year of 2160 I long for 80s music (1980s not 2080s... that decade between 2080 and 2090 was so NOT what I'd consider music) 90s fashion (1990s and 2090s were both pretty much the same for clothes) and the comics from the 50s and 60s (old school stuff done by hand from after the second World War in my mind was all pretty cool). I love Charlie Brown and it was his obsession with and longing for the little red-haired girl that I channeled when I told old face on the screen I was in love. In reality though it was half true. I am not in love with some ten year old cartoon character. The red-haired girl that I have fallen for is not so little and not so young. She flies jets for RedBull and she gives the boys a run for their money. The last time I saw her she invited me to drop by and see her at pit lane. I've snuck in with the mechanics prior to race day though and the red-haired girl is nowhere in sight. Noone has heard of her and strangely there is no sign of her team.
"I'm in love with the red-haired girl from Team RedBull," I blurt out to a marshal, he shrugs his shoulders in reply.
My search continues on and on throughout the day until the race meet is complete. No sign of the RedBull team and definitely no sign of the girl I am seeking.

Maybe she will be at the next meet. Maybe she was never real at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment