Saturday 20 February 2016

Farewell to another South Aussie Icon

Just spent the day with my family at a South Australian icon. This place is as SA as Balfours frog cakes, The Hilltop Hoods and bung fritz. It has something for everyone of every age. Slides galore (wet and dry), flying foxes, tractor train ride, archery range, paddle boats, volley ball, a half decent maze... The list goes on and on... I am of course talking about Greenhills Adventure Park in Victor Harbor.

I slid down the wave slide, burnt my elbow on the giant slide (I don't recommend racing your brother-in-law with your daughter on your lap), raced my kids on the water slides, took a tractor train ride, paddled my daughter around the pond chasing my other two kids on their aqua bike, tackled moon bikes (a nightmare with my long legs) and took on what felt like a million trillion stairs... The day was A-MAZE-ING (pun intended) and even after three or four full on hours at this magical place the day ended way too quickly.

Sadly though this South Aussie icon of childhood memory making will be closing for good May 1st THIS YEAR!!!! No more family fun... No more excited car rides... Another icon of my childhood and my kids' childhood gone. It is one of the last places that I am aware of that gets kids into the out of doors and exercising without them even realising it is happening!! I am exhausted, I can only imagine how physically tired my kids are after the day we've had... The worst thing is the wonderful staff (70 or 80 of them I think) only have a few months left to find a new career...

This post is not designed to encourage an uprising to save this funfair (a gazillion steps included). I only want to encourage all of us to visit one last time... Go... Enjoy... Relive your greatest childhood memories... And create some new ones with your own kids... Do it now, before it is truly too late...

No comments:

Post a Comment